2019 Group Walking Events and Activities
Click the following links to take you directly to the information you want to see below. Otherwise scroll down the page to view everything.
Wednesday Walks: Every Wednesday an informal group of walkers meet for a walk in the Portland-Vancouver Metro area. There is typically a 10 km (6.2 mile) group and a 5 km (3.1 mile) group. The starting times are at 10:00am from October through June and at 9:30am July through September unless otherwise specified. Please arrive 10-15min before start time to signup and stamp books. All walks are on sanctioned AVA Routes and all offer AVA/IVV credit. Most are on existing Year-Round or Seasonal routes. Some are sanctioned as one day regular event group walks. Following the walk, everyone is invited to attend lunch at a nearby restaurant.
The Wednesday Walk schedule is provided by the Vancouver USA Volkssporters club, contact Dick Baker with feedback on walk and restaurant choices or ideas for future events - phone: (360) 573-6048
The current schedule of walks and restaurants, plus pictures from historical walks can be viewed via the following link.
Other group walks in the area
can be found via the following links:
Weekend Group Walks Schedule & Historical Pictures sponsored by the All Weather Walkers club
Summer Evening Group Walks Schedule sponsored by the All Weather Walkers and Vancouver USA Volkssporters clubs
Group walks found in Walkoregon Yahoo Group Schedule
There are several ways to keep current on the walks in the area.
Go to www.walkoregon.org/walk-listings to find out how to:
- Subscribe to the weekly WalkList email list
- Join the Walking Oregon and SW Washington Meetup Group
- Follow the Oregon Walking facebook page
Trail Cleanup: To give back to the community and help keep our trails maintained, our club has adopted a section of the Burnt Bridge Trail to cleanup East of Devine Rd. We meet the first Thursday of the month for February, April through
September, and November. We meet at Starbucks (8302 Mill Plain Blvd, Vancouver, 98664) to sign-in at our YRE. We then drive to the Burnt Bridge Trail at Burt Paynter's direction.
Scheduled Cleanup Dates and Times
- FEB 7, 2019  - 10:00 AM
- APR 4, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- Rescheduled to MAY 9, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- JUN 6, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- JUL 4, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- AUG 1, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- SEP 5, 2019  - 9:00 AM
- NOV 7, 2019  - 10:00 AM
If you have questions or would like to help please contact Burt Paynter - phone: (360)798-8485
Many hands make light work and you get a great walk too.
In 2015 our club wrote to the Vancouver mayor and city manager to point out the vandalism and trash around the Burnt Bridge Creek Trail in hopes that they would target the area for more enforcement. While the Parks Department was working diligently to clean up the trail and remove tagging on many surfaces, we felt more effort should be put into enforcement to stop the acts of vandalism. We use the trail for several year round events and want to feel safe while enjoying a scenic trail that isn't defaced or polluted by vandals and homeless who frequent the area. At the time we also made a $500 donation to the Parks Association to back up our sincerity. It didn't take long before our club committee decided to adopt a section of the trail and take ownership of fixing part of the problem. Doug Davis took the lead, as this was a project that really resonated with him. Since then we have done regular trash pickup on a 2 mile section on the east end of the trail with the support of the Vancouver Parks and Recreation Department and the area has begun to look more inviting.
Walkers Book Club
The club meets at 2pm on the 1st Tuesday of the month. Meeting place varies.
Anyone may drop in and join the book discussion.
Contact Romana Paynter at, 360-521-8288 or email@example.com.
Upcoming book discussions:
Books we have read:
- September 3 - The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- October 1 - Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy
- November 5 - The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, Mitch Albom
- August 6 - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
- July 9, 2019 (2nd Tuesday of the month) - Left Hand of Darkness,
by Ursula K Le Guinn
- June 4, 2019 - Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann
- May 7, 2019 - Becoming, by Michelle Obama
- April 2, 2019 - The Library Book, by Susan Orlean
- March 5, 2019 - Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens
- February 5, 2019 - Educated, by Tara Westover
- January 8, 2019 - The Murder of JoAnn Dewey in Vancouver, WA; by Pat Jollota
- December 4, 2018 - Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate
- November 6, 2018 - The God of Small Things, by Arhundhati Roy
- October 2, 2018 - Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike, by Phil Knight
- September 4, 2018 - Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown
- August 7, 2018 - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman
- July 3, 2018 - Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery
- June 5, 2018 - A Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling
- May 1, 2018 - Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- April 3, 2018 - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- March 6, 2018 - A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley
Vancouver USA Volkssporters PO Box 2121 Vancouver WA 98668-2121